Gilberts is a leading medium sized firm of Chartered Accountants with four partners and around twenty staff based in St Albans.
Our origins go back to 1921 when W J Gilbert opened an office in Fore Street, London. The firm was originally known as W J Gilbert & Co. The first trainee accountant taken on was Ivor Wilkins who went on to win the Gold Medal at the Institutes examinations. Mr Wilkins became W J Gilbert & Co's second partner.
An office was opened in St Albans in 1927 and by the 1950s W J Gilberts & Co also had an office in Luton. In 1968 the partners of the London office left the practice and the remaining offices were renamed Gilbert & Co. The St Albans office moved in 1968 from High Street to Alma Road and, with the expansion of the practice, to Upper Marlborough Road in 1974. The modernisation of the Hertfordshire area with improved infrastructure resulted in the Luton office being moved to St Albans. In the mid eighties the practice changed its name to Gilberts and we moved to our current purpose built offices in January 1990.
Throughout these years we have provided audit, accounting and taxation advice to businesses and their owners. Over this time we have helped many clients make the successful transition from business start-ups to successful growing enterprises. We work with new and established businesses from around the UK and overseas. We offer a complete range of accounting and advisory services as well as many specialist and outsourcing services.